Patients of all genders, ages, and ethnicities may find themselves dealing with acne. While acne is often associated with hormonal teenagers, it can impact some individuals well into adulthood. Many cases of mild acne can be addressed successfully with many of the over-the-counter products that contain active ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. However, other patients may struggle with controlling their acne, and those with severe acne may need to seek the assistance of a dermatologist. Drs. Elizabeth Callahan and William Adams in the Sarasota, Florida area are pleased to provide patients with the care they need to stop acne at SkinSmart Dermatology.
How is acne treated?
There are many different approaches to treating acne, and there is not one solution that works for everyone. For many individuals, trial and error may be needed to test different treatment options and see how the skin reacts. Below are just a few of the more commonly used treatments for acne recommended by our team at SkinSmart Dermatology:
- Topical prescription creams – one of the most popular approaches is strong, prescription-strength creams that treat acne at the source.
- Oral prescription medications – some patients can combine other therapies with oral medications that can improve the acne from the inside out.
- Laser and light treatments – laser treatments and light therapies are often used for patients with moderate acne, and many of these are used in combination with other treatments for the best possible outcome.
- Hormonal therapy – hormonal changes can be the cause of acne for many women, so this approach is perfect for patients who have hormonal-based acne that tends to ebb and flow depending on their menstrual cycle.
- Isotretinoin (Accutate) treatment – individuals with severe cystic acne often consider an aggressive approach with medications such as isotretinoin which can be incredibly beneficial for individuals who do not respond well with other treatments.
- Chemical peels – in-office procedures such as chemicals help exfoliate the skin and improve acne when combined with acne therapies.
Discuss your treatment options with the team at SkinSmart Dermatology in Sarasota, FL
If you struggle with acne and are looking for an effective treatment, connect with Drs. Elizabeth Callahan and William Adams of SkinSmart Dermatology to discuss your options. The office is located at 5911 North Honore Avenue, Ste. #210 and can be reached to request an appointment by calling (941) 308-7546.