Hair loss, or alopecia, is a common condition which may be a consequence of natural aging, a side effect of medication, or a manifestation of a health disorder. It can result in total baldness, thinning of the hair, or patchy bald spots and may be confined to the scalp or affect other areas of the body. Hair loss may be temporary or permanent, depending on its cause. Some of the causes of hair loss include:
- Male pattern baldness
- Fungal infections of the scalp
- Severe infections or high fevers
- Poor nutrition
- Certain medications
- Traumatic stress
- Trichotillomania, a psychiatric disorder involving compulsive hair-pulling
- Thyroid or pituitary disorders
- Certain skin disorders, such as eczema or psoriasis
- Autoimmune diseases, such as lupus or polycystic ovary syndrome
- Chemotherapy or radiation therapy
- Alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder
- Telogen effluvium, in which too many hair follicles remain in a resting state
Treatment for Hair Loss
Treatment for hair loss is usually based on the cause of the condition. When hair loss results from a fungal infection, it may be treated with anti-fungal medication. Hair loss that results from cancer treatment is usually temporary. The best way to determine the necessary treatment is to schedule an appointment with our office.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
For more information on hair loss and treatment options, or to schedule your appointment, contact SkinSmart Dermatology today! Our practice serves Sarasota, FL and the surrounding areas.
If you are experiencing hair loss and are seeking treatment, visit Sarasota Dermatology. Our providers, including Dr. Elizabeth Callahan, are experienced in hair loss treatment and have been serving the Sarasota community for over 15 years. At SkinSmart Dermatology, we treat a wide variety of skin problems and care for every individual patient with a personal touch. Schedule an appointment by calling 941.308.7546 or fill out the form on our contact page.