Botox® & Dysport®
Quick, convenient, safe and essentially painless, BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport®are two of the most popular treatments at SkinSmart Dermatology® in Sarasota. With a skilled hand and an innate aesthetic sense, Dr. Elizabeth Callahan provides results that are noticeable, yet subtle. Unlike patients who undergo a full facelift or other surgical procedures, you will not appear dramatically different after treatment. Often friends may ask, “Have you been on a vacation?”
With her extensive training, mastery of facial musculature and structure, and experienced use of injectables, Dr. Callahan attracts patients for BOTOX, and Dysport from Siesta Key, Longboat Key, Lakewood Ranch and along the West Coast of Florida, as well as across the country and internationally. She has achieved “Platinum Level” status as a BOTOX injector, a recognition that Allergan – the maker of BOTOX – bestows upon a select number of physicians who demonstrate the highest standards of experience and safety with their products. Find out more about the SkinSmart Difference.
Healthy, beautiful skin begins at SkinSmart Dermatology®. Request a cosmetic consultation or call our office in Sarasota at 941.308.7546 ext. 7330.
How They Work
BOTOX and Dysport are made from a purified protein that temporarily relaxes the facial muscles responsible for certain lines and wrinkles caused by repetitive movements such as squinting and concentrating. When the muscles are relaxed, wrinkles gradually fade or disappear completely.
We believe your best results come from a board-certified aesthetic physician rather than from a mall kiosk or a quickie facility. At SkinSmart Dermatology in Sarasota, BOTOX and Dysport treatments are commonly used to reduce or eliminate the appearance of:
- Lines between the eyebrows (also called the “11s”, glabellar lines or worry lines)
- Forehead lines and a sagging brow
- Lines below the eyes and crow’s feet at the corners of the eyes
- Lip lines, also called “smoker’s lines”
- Downturned corners of the mouth
Before we recommend any treatment, we ask that you have an in-depth cosmetic consultation. We will thoroughly evaluate your skin to determine a treatment plan best suited to your aesthetic goals. We may recommend combining BOTOX, Dysport or Xeomin with injectable fillers for more complete facial rejuvenation.
In addition to effective wrinkle correction, Dr. Callahan uses BOTOX and Dysport to provide a variety of other benefits, including:
- Wrinkle prevention: In addition to treating existing wrinkles, these injections can be used proactively to delay the onset of future ones. Ask Dr. Callahan to describe how BOTOX or Dysport can be part of an anti-aging skincare regimen.
- Underarm sweating: Whether excessive or not, sweating can be a nuisance and an embarrassment. BOTOX and Dysport can be used to reduce sweating. The results last six to eight months. Sweaty palms can also be treated.
- Neck bands: BOTOX and Dysport can be used to treat prominent neck “bands”. This exciting new procedure offers a great temporary alternative to surgery. After injecting prominent neck bands, the neck and jaw have a slightly more lifted appearance.
- Gummy smile: With a few quick injections of BOTOX or Dysport in specific areas on both sides of the nose, Dr. Callahan can reduce the elevation of the upper lip to correct a gummy smile.
The procedure takes only a few minutes, and you’ll start to see results in three to five days. There’s no downtime – many patients stop in during their lunch hour and return to work immediately afterward – and results typically last up to four months.
*Results will vary
What’s the Difference Between BOTOX Cosmetic and Dysport?
There are more similarities between BOTOX Cosmetic and Dysport than there are differences. Both are neuromodulators that use a purified form of botulinum toxin to temporarily relax muscles and reduce dynamic wrinkles. The main difference lies in the kind of protein attached to the active ingredient. The protein in Dysport allows it to diffuse further and spread more.
Dysport is also measured differently, with a general rule of thumb being one BOTOX Cosmetic unit equals three Dysport units. While BOTOX Cosmetic is FDA-approved to treat moderate to severe forehead lines, frown lines, and crow’s feet, Dysport is FDA-approved for glabellar lines (AKA 11s). However, both products are frequently used off-label to effectively treat other areas.
Myths and Facts About BOTOX Cosmetic and Dysport
There are several pervasive myths about neurotoxins. Here’s what you should know before deciding if this treatment is right for you.
Myth: Dysport or BOTOX Cosmetic will give you a “frozen” appearance.
Fact: A highly trained injector (like Dr. Callahan) understands underlying muscle anatomy and correct dosing, producing natural-looking results. You’ll be able to express a wide range of emotions with fewer lines and wrinkles.
Myth: Dysport and BOTOX Cosmetic results are immediate.
Fact: It can take several days to see initial changes after BOTOX Cosmetic or Dysport injections, with maximum results appearing in about one to two weeks.
Myth: Dysport and BOTOX Cosmetic injections are toxic or unsafe.
Fact: With toxin right in the name “neurotoxin,” it’s easy to see why this myth persists. Both injectables are made from a purified form of botulinum toxin. However, the active protein in neuromodulators doesn’t spread through your system or cause systemic illness like botulism. The FDA has cleared Dysport and BOTOX Cosmetic as safe for cosmetic use, and both injectables have been used safely for many years.
How Do I Choose the Right Injector?
Choosing a qualified and experienced provider is key to getting stunning, natural-looking BOTOX Cosmetic or Dysport results. Here are a few questions to ask before booking with an injector:
- Does this provider have medical training? A board-certified dermatologist and dermatologic surgeon like Dr. Callahan will have received extensive training and passed rigorous board examinations. Nurses and physician assistants can also administer injectables after specialized training.
- Is the provider certified with Allergan? The company that makes BOTOX Cosmetic also provides training and certification on the best use of its product. Dr. Callahan has achieved “Platinum Level” status with Allergan.
- Does the injector listen to your goals? If you don’t feel heard or understood during your consultation, move on to another provider. At SkinSmart Dermatology®, we know every patient has unique goals for their cosmetic treatments, and we work with you to get to your desired look.
- Are injectables administered in a safe, sterile place? Dysport or BOTOX Cosmetic parties may offer steep discounts, but they come at the cost of being hosted in locations that don’t have the proper equipment or the ability to sterilize instruments. Injectables should be administered in a medical setting.