April is Rosacea Awareness Month, but anyone who’s ever dealt with the telltale flushing, broken capillaries, pustules, and inflammation is all too familiar with this condition. If you’re struggling to manage your rosacea in Sarasota, it’s time to seek out a dermatologist for help. At SkinSmart Dermatology®, the board-certified dermatologists regularly treat patients with all types of rosacea. Here’s what you need to know about calming your skin.
Managing Your Rosacea Triggers
Rosacea is a chronic condition, but many patients experience periods of calm skin followed by symptomatic flare-ups. One of the first steps in managing rosacea is identifying and avoiding triggers whenever possible.
Common rosacea triggers include:
- Hot drinks
- Intense emotions
- Extreme heat or cold
- Intense exercise
- Sun exposure
- Harsh winds
- Certain cosmetics or hairspray
Some rosacea triggers are impossible to steer clear of, but keeping a journal of your symptoms can help you track those you can avoid. This information is also helpful to dermatologists when creating a treatment plan.
What Treatments Can a Dermatologist Prescribe for Rosacea?
A dermatologist can correctly diagnose the type of rosacea you have and prescribe the appropriate treatments. These could include:
- Professional skin care: Some patients can manage their symptoms with specially formulated skin care for rosacea. These contain sun protection ingredients like zinc and titanium dioxide or calming ingredients like niacinamide. SkinSmart Dermatology carries several products suitable for patients with rosacea.
- Topical medications: Medicated creams or gels could help control your rosacea symptoms. Brimonidine or oxymetazoline can be prescribed to reduce flushing by restricting blood vessels. Azelaic acid, metronidazole, or ivermectin could help clear pustules. Steroid eye drops may also be prescribed to manage symptoms of ocular rosacea.
- Oral medications: If you have moderate to severe bumps and pimples, an antibiotic like doxycycline might help. Isotretinoin can also help clear acne-like rosacea papules.
- Laser and light therapy: One of the most advanced and effective rosacea treatments for managing flushing and eliminating broken capillaries is light or laser therapy. IPL photofacials can significantly reduce redness.
Your rosacea plan may involve a combination of the treatments above. Since rosacea is often progressive, with symptoms changing in severity or presentation over time, our dermatologists can adjust treatments as needed.
Get Professional Rosacea Treatment in Sarasota
If you’re ready to enjoy more calm skin days, call SkinSmart Dermatology® at 941-308-7546 to book an appointment in Sarasota, Florida. Their team of board-certified dermatologists can provide the most advanced and effective treatments for rosacea.