Hair loss is widespread, affecting about 80% of men and 50% of women during their lifetime. However, that’s rarely a comfort if you’re losing your hair. The providers at SkinSmart Dermatology® are always researching the latest hair loss treatment trends so we can offer the most advanced solutions to our patients. Read on to find out more about some of the best options available in 2023.
Diagnosing Your Hair Loss
The first step in treating hair loss is finding the reason. During your initial consultation, our providers will ask about your hair care routine, family history, diet, and overall health to rule out underlying causes.
They might also utilize one of the following tests:
- Pull test: Our providers can determine the shedding stage by gently pulling several dozen hairs to see how many come out.
- Blood test: This can rule out conditions that cause hair loss, including anemia, pregnancy, thyroid disorders, autoimmune diseases, and polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Scalp biopsy: Fungal infections can cause hair loss, which can be diagnosed by plucking a few hairs from your scalp to examine the roots under a microscope.
- Microscopy: Our providers can diagnose a hair shaft disorder using microscopy.
Once we determine the cause of your hair loss, our providers can create a treatment plan.
What Are the Best Hair Loss Treatments?
After underlying medical conditions are ruled out, hair loss treatment can begin. Some effective options include:
- Over-the-counter topical medications: If you’re experiencing mild hair loss, a nonprescription treatment could slow the loss rate or help your hair regrow. Minoxidil (Rogaine) can be applied once to twice daily.
- Finasteride: This daily oral prescription for men is commonly known as Propecia.
- Other prescription medications: Depending on the cause of your hair loss, oral medications like spironolactone or dutasteride could help.
- Light Therapy: Low-level laser or red light therapy can encourage growth.
- Keravive™ by Hydrafacial®: This three-step treatment from the makers of the popular Hydrafacial device cleanses, nourishes, and hydrates the scalp to promote hair growth and a fuller appearance.
- Hair transplant surgery: During this procedure, hair is removed from part of the back of your head and transplanted to a bald spot.
Schedule Your Hair Loss Treatment in Sarasota, Florida
Unwanted hair loss can be alarming and embarrassing, but you don’t have to live with it. At SkinSmart Dermatology®, we love helping patients find hair regrowth treatments that truly work. If you’re ready to schedule your 2023 hair loss treatment consultation, call 941-308-7546 to book an appointment with a dermatologist in Sarasota, Florida.