You always want to receive the best possible care when it comes to your health. In the case of skin cancer treatment, Mohs surgery is the gold standard. However, performing this advanced procedure requires intensive training. At SkinSmart Dermatology®, we’re proud to have two fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons on staff.
Why Is Mohs Fellowship Training Important?
While many board-certified dermatologists perform Mohs surgery, only fellowship-trained surgeons have completed an additional one to two years of training with an accredited American College of Mohs Surgery (ACMS) program. Reasons to choose a Mohs surgeon with fellowship training include:
- Highly competitive programs: ACMS-accredited fellowships are extremely competitive. Surgeons with this training have demonstrated academic excellence.
- Experience: Fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons must complete a minimum of 500 proctored cases under the supervision of an attending surgeon. Those without fellowship training (called society-based Mohs surgeons) only need to complete 75 cases.
- Complicated procedures: Because fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons are required to complete more supervised cases, they gain experience with complex multistep repairs as well as simple closures.
- Cosmetic results: Mohs micrographic surgery is a technically precise procedure often performed on the face where the cosmetic outcome is more important. Surgeons with fellowship training have the expertise to minimize scarring.
- Equipped to deal with recurrence: While Mohs surgery is a highly effective treatment for skin cancer, recurrence is possible. Fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons aren’t just experts in complicated surgical techniques. They also have extensive experience analyzing tissue samples and monitoring for atypical cells.
Find a Mohs Fellowship-Trained Surgeon in Sarasota
If you’re looking for a Mohs skin cancer surgeon with fellowship training and a long history of successful results, you’ll be in good hands at SkinSmart Dermatology® in Sarasota, Florida. Our providers, Dr. Elizabeth Callahan and Dr. William Adams, are experts in this area.
Founder and medical director Dr. Callahan is one of the top-rated fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons in the region, with more than 15,000 surgeries in her career. Additionally, board-certified dermatologist Dr. Adams has completed advanced fellowship training and has performed more than 10,000 Mohs surgeries. To book an appointment with our incredibly skilled providers, call 941-308-7546.