Dermaplaning is a treatment that is becoming more popular with time as men and women realize the many benefits it provides. During dermaplaning, an esthetician uses a special blade to exfoliate the upper layer of skin. The blade removes the “peach fuzz” on the face, as well as dead skin cells that can clog the pores and make the skin appear dull. The team at SkinSmart Dermatology in Sarasota, FL, work with patients to help them learn more about this procedure and prepare for their upcoming appointment.
How to prepare for dermaplaning treatments
Below are just a few recommendations from our estheticians regarding preparation steps prior to having dermaplaning treatment sessions completed at SkinSmart Dermatology:
- Hydrate. Drink plenty of water to keep the skin hydrated to reduce discomfort or swelling.
- Check for wounds. Schedule your appointment only after any cuts or wounds have fully healed, as these can impact the healing process following dermaplaning.
- Avoid exfoliation treatments. Take at least five days off of any exfoliation products and services prior to your dermaplaning session.
- Avoid retinol. Avoid products with retinol before your treatment, as it can increase irritation after dermaplaning.
- Use an antibacterial skincare product. Antibacterial products fight off bacteria that can lead to an infection and is an excellent product to integrate before and after your dermaplaning treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure. Dermaplaning brings forth youthful and fresh new skin underneath, which can make it sensitive to UV exposure. Use sunscreen daily to protect the skin as part of your year-round skin care regimen.
- Avoid shaving. Avoid shaving prior to the appointment to reduce the risk of razor bumps or irritation that can occur during dermaplaning.
- Reschedule other treatments. It is best to wait a few weeks after dermaplaning before undergoing other treatments, including dermal filler injections, chemical peels, and facials.
Ready for your dermaplaning session?
If you reside in the area of Sarasota, FL, and want to work with Drs. Elizabeth Callahan and William Adams of SkinSmart Dermatology to undergo dermaplaning treatments, call the office at 941-308-7546 to request an appointment. The office is open to new and returning patients.